President's Cancer Panel Report link
It's a long one but well worth reading. This report actually states many of the points we have been trying to make about how unsafe our environment has become by letting corporations lead the way with our food, water and products.
Time magazine summarized the report with 10 key points.
1. Drink filtered tap water.
2. Store food in glass, stainless-steel, or BPA-free plastic.
3. Minimize children’s and pregnant women’s exposure to carcinogens and endocrine-disrupting chemicals.
4. Choose fruits and vegetables grown without pesticides or chemical fertilizers.
5. Choose free-range meat that has not been exposed to antibiotics or growth hormones.
6. Minimize consumption of processed, charred or well-done meats.
7. Turn off lights and electrical devices when not in use.
8. Drive a fuel-efficient car.
9. Check home radon levels.
10. Reduce radiation exposure from cell phones and medical tests; avoid UV overexposure.
So glad we have a president that is willing to expose the truth about the things that are important to us.
Another big thing this report does is set the guide lines to the Principals of Green Chemistry.
(The Good Human summarized these key points)
12 Principles of Green Chemistry
- Prevent waste that requires treatment or clean-up.
- Design chemicals and products to be fully effective but have little or no toxicity.
- Develop less hazardous ways to synthesize chemicals.
- Use renewable raw materials.
- Use catalysts to make chemicals instead of reagents that create more waste.
- Avoid chemical derivatives.
- Reduce wasted atoms.
- Avoid using solvents whenever possible or use innocuous solvents.
- Increase energy efficiency by running chemical reactions at ambient temperatures.
- Design chemicals to break down after use.
- Monitor for by-products in real time.
- Minimize the potential for chemical accidents.